Thursday, May 26, 2011

An Unlocked Room

"Where are you going?" Every word from his mouth was smug, as if it was all a joke.
"I'm not too sure." I looked around again, everything was such a blur. I remembered this room to look a lot different when I walked in it but now it seemed drastically different. Day by day things changed and molded, in the beginning it was inviting and exciting but now it seemed more and more like a cell.
"I don't want to be here anymore." This time I told him to his face, but all he gave back was a erie smile.
"Let me out." I insisted as I motioned to his keys. "What makes you think that this isn't where you belong?" He said smoothly.
I paused at his question, I had no answer. "You opened the door didn't you?" He said, "You wanted to open it." I looked around again, the walls had peeled away into cement and the furniture had lost it's grand appeal, leaving only a pile of wood and rotted cloth behind. I could fix it up, I thought, I could make something of it. I reached for an old lamp to switch on the light, but it flickered and went out. I tried the switch again but nothing happened.
I stopped and just stared at the lamp with my hand still seemingly glued to the switch, almost as if I had hoped it would just magically come on at any minute. I let go suddenly and ran over to the old couch in a panic trying to place the pieces back together that was obviously a hopeless project. As soon as I let go of the wood, it fell apart in an instant, turning out to be in a more horrible condition than when I started. I need help, I thought. That second the voice in the corner leaned back into his chair and just smirked at me as if I was doing a good job on my own.
I stood up slowly and just closed my eyes. "God..." I whispered. In that moment I realized that I was on my own and a sudden wave of emotion that I didn't belong there struck me in the face. I was wasting my time in a room meant for no one. I opened my eyes and swiveled around to face the door that not to long ago I dreamed of going through to enter into this very room. Now I so desperately wanted out to be where I belonged... in a place of peace.
I walked over to the door and this time touched the door knob. He stood up very fast and took a step toward me, "Where are you going?" he exclaimed.
I slowly turned the handle to the door that seemed to need no key, I turned my eyes to his and said "Somewhere."
Smiling I took my step into the unknown, and in that there... was freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment